I have two teenage girls. If you have teenage girls you know what that means. While I was once a teenage girl myself, I will admit that while I do know what it is to be a teenage girl in the 80's I do not know what it is to be one in 2011. I have often thought to myself that I wish I knew then what I know now. If only right? My girls are a bit shy my oldest more so. They are quiet I was the same but only until I got to know you. Then as well as now, once I know you I never shut up. I can talk all day long one on one. There are a few things that if I could go back in time I would clue myself into about the future. So here is what I would let myself know just to make the transition a bit smoother. They are also things that I try to tell my children but I am mom and know nothing about being a kid.
Dear Teenage Me,
You are not crazy. Remember the movie Back to the Future? This is a bit like that. I've come to tell you that things are going to get so much better. The following are some things you should know.
1. Friends don't let friends get perms. Just don't do it. I know it's the style. I know that you think big hair is what is in. I also know you want to be Whitney Houston, but you are a white country girl with not a lick of wave in your hair. Plus when it's growing out there is nothing attractive about it.
2. Never be afraid to talk to people. You are a beautiful creation from God. You are worthy to speak to any of God's creations. People are just people. Anyone who doesn't see the beauty within doesn't deserve your friendship.
3. Join the band. Learning a musical instrument is not at all geeky. It is a lifelong skill. Someday when you are older while you may rock at air guitar and air piano, you will wish there were an instrument you could play.
4. The male species is not on the extinction list. There will always be boys. The right boy will support your dreams and encourage you to pursue them. He will also have dreams of his own. The right boy will dream along with you.
5. Do not be afraid to dream BIG. The country we live in was founded on big dreams. If you want to be a scientist be one. If you want to be ballerina be one. You can do anything you set your mind to and more. You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength. I know you may not be reading anything but school books but pick up the bible. Read it and pray and ask for guidance. Here is a clue God's plan is always better than the one you have for yourself.
6. Someday you will say "because I said so", "shape up or ship out", and a slew of other things that drive you crazy about your mom. You may even forever traumatize them with the story of how they were born. But it's OK because it is entirely possible that they will become nuns because of it, thereby ensuring that you don't have to worry about teenage pregnancy. You will probably refer to "the good old days" and not be referring to the 50's or 60's.
7. Lycra is your friend and one day you will not be appalled by a push up bra, it will be your friend too.
8. Don't be a hurry to grow up. Once you are there you will be a grown up the rest of your life. Take time to be a kid. When you are a grown up try to remember how you used to collect willy worms and didn't gross out. You killed them in a jar of course but they were cool.
9. Television goes down hill in the future. Sitcoms disappear and scripted "reality shows" take over. Don't worry you can introduce your future children to good television via DVD. DVD is like VHS only cooler.
10. What goes up, must go down. Just remember that someday things will sag so take care of all your parts. If you take care of them it makes them easier to pick back up. (This is where the padded bra takes effect.)
I'm sure there are more. Things like be careful of the sun but stay in constant communication with the Son of God. People will come and go from your life but God will always stay with you. You are never ever alone. "Stay golden" (Outsiders reference)and "never stop reaching for the stars". (Yeah I looked that one up I was thinking Star Search)
Last but not least a good sense of humor is a terrible thing to waste.